This fantastic compilation came along with greek music magazine Pop+Rock, back in 1995 and is hard to find today. Mute records is (was) one of the most succesfull independent record companies, although not "independent" anymore. EMI bought Mute. You better check out their official website because a lot of great artists still play for Mute.
Daniel Miller founded the company back at 1978 with artists like Fad Gadget and D.A.F. Later came Yazoo, Depeche Mode, Inspiral Carpets, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Moby and the rest is history...
Back at the '70's and 80's the independent record companies were really independent. It means that almost every one had its own distinctive musical style and aesthetic and the whole "business" structure was completely different than the big labels. More human, more friendly to the artists and the buyers. The idea was "art above money"!
Who can forget Factory, Rough Trade, Creation, Flicknife, Mo 'Wax, Postcard and the list goes on...
This is a exquisite compilation including some of the best artists of that time.
1. Barry Adamson - Snowball Effect
2. Nick Cave and Shawn Mc Gowan - Wonderfull World
3. Inspiral Carpets - Two Worlds Collide
4. Balanescu Quartet - The Model
5. Anita Lane - Jesus Almost Got Me
6. Simon Bonney - There Can Only Be One
7. Parallax - Nobody Moves Nobody Dies
8. Diamanda Gallas - Let My People Go
9. Renegade Soundwave - Space Gladiator
10. Moby - Move (Disco Threat Mix)
11. Fortran 5 - Bass Degree Zero
12. Nitzer Ebb - Godhead